Wednesday, June 1, 2011

HOT ! HOT ! HOT !!

This morning's new schedule went remarkably well with no interuptions. After chores and breakfast I got my first batch of layers in the ovens right on time. Last night I figured I had 3 hours of baking but some how this morning I beat that by almost an hour. Maybe that says something about being energetic as the day begins verses as the day ends !!
After lunch I cleaned all the floors and swept off the porches. I remembered the ditch full of leaves and branches that Hubbie cut last night and took a rake and went down the drive way to rake them out so they wouldn't wash down and stop up the culvert end. By the time I got back to the house I was soaking wet with sweat and it was dripping off my chin.
I looked at the thermometer and it said 96 degrees again today.
Doesn't look like there is much relief in sight and boy oh boy do we need some rain. The normal temperature for us this time of year is 77 degrees. No wonder we are so miserable ,as our bodies are in shock !!!

I took advantage of my inside time to finish my first blog book this afternoon. My computer has been freezing up and I had daughter look at it today and she said the booksmart download was overloading my crowded anyway computer. So I finished this book, got it ordered and am excited to see what it turns out like. It contains all my post from the year 2009 and it only cost me $65 ,I thought that was a bargain !

I keep going up and checking on my chickens in this hot weather,but apparently it doesn't bother some of them.
The white silkie that has been sitting was due to start hatching today and so far she has no hatchlings.
She has been miserable in this heat and has kicked several eggs out from under her,I don't blame her ,I would hate to be stuck to a nest in this heat .
I have another white silkie wanting to sit and she gets so mad at me each day when I raid her nest and take away the eggs, but until this weather breaks I'm not letting her sit.
On my walk this evening I saw what I thought was a large rock on the side of the creek, but as I got closer it moved and then took off. It was a mama Mallard duck with a brood of babies. They swam down the creek away from me under some bushes so I couldn't take a picture of them. I'll be looking for them tomorrow.
One Black snake lost it's life tonight as I almost stepped on it coming back from shutting up my chickens. I've told them if you don't surprise me and you stay away from the chicken house you are welcome here but this one broke both rules. He was big enough to eat eggs and small chicks and small enough to slither through the 1" chicken wire I have on one of the brooder boxes. So it was " off with his head" ,note to all remaining snakes , follow the rules !!! I still hate to kill them as I think they are a very useful snake.
I did our weekly paperwork tonight before icing 6 caramel and 2 coconut cakes.
As I put June dates on things it still doesn't seem possible that it is already summer.
Last year June was not a good month for my family, I pray that this year it will be a much improved month.
God is good all the time and all the time God is good !!
Good Night and God Bless.

3 comments:

Gail said...

Have a very blessed day and try to stay cool.

Hidden Haven Homestead said...

I am trying to get up earlier to beat the heat of the day and get outside chores done. It's working but sure would like to see a little cool front stop by for a few days. Have a very blessed day... and stay cool!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hot Hot Hot here too.... We drove to Tullahoma today to check on G's parents ... They are fine but it's even hotter there... Yuk!!!!

Your poor chickens... I cannot imagine being out in this heat...

Take care.
Hugs,
Betsy