Thursday, January 24, 2013

COUSIN JACK'S DEATH

After dropping g-son at school I stopped by the Dollar General store right down the road and found some hand towels to make the sewing orders I have for Saturday.
This morning at 7 am the temperature was 37 degrees and by the time I finished chores at 9 am it was 34 ??!! 
I went into town early to get all my errands done and delivered my eggs to a customer. With all the stops I had I didn't get home until almost 1:00. The temperature is now 31 and the wind has been picking up all morning making it really feel cold.
After lunch I tackled my sewing orders. Into the hand towels I bought this morning I put a mixture of these things.
 The gallon pickle jar is filled with dried thyme leaves.
 Cured rice.....
And the finished products were 4 nice fragrant heatable neck wraps.
I made these years ago for a local chiropractor to sell in his office but he moved and since then I haven't made any of these. A customer and old patient of this chiropractor called and wanted 2 of these and another customer who had bought some sinus packs I made before Christmas wanted a couple. I was going to make a couple extra to sell on my table at market but ran out of cured rice.
The rice needs to be put in the freezer for a couple weeks to make sure no weevils survive so that's how I cure it.
My downstairs smelled amazing after I had finished with these, hubbie thought I had been using eucalyptus in something down there.
After chores as I sat in the living room watching the news I noticed this beautiful sunset out the bay window.
The sky continued to get redder and I stepped out on the front porch to make this picture at the peak of its colorful glory.
I thought how lucky I am to be able to have this wonderful view out my front window !
By this time tomorrow evening no telling what the sky will look like or what we will have on the ground as all the weather gurus have different opinions about this weather system that is making it's way to our area tomorrow.
Most say we will get some amount of ice and maybe some sleet and snow as this map shows.
I guess it will depend on where the temperature breaks are as to what will fall.  Hopefully they are right and it won't get here until about lunch time as that will be the warmest part of the day.

On a sad note tonight,a couple weeks ago I lost one of my cousins as he lost his battle with lung cancer.
I hadn't seen him in many years and only found one photo of us when we were kids although I know we saw each other a lot when we were young as his mom who was my dad's niece came to visit often.
In this photo Winnie is holding her younger son Barry with me standing beside her and Jack standing behind me squinting in the sunlight.
I found Jack's obit on line tonight. I read all the notes from friends and family and it sounded like Jack was a fine Christian man who loved the Lord and his family very much.

Wish I could have gotten to know him much better.

Thanking God for all the blessings he gave me today and praying for Jack's mom and family as they grieve the loss of a son,brother,husband and father.
Good Night and God Bless,






1 comment:

linda m said...

Your heatable neck wraps sound divine. My condolences on the passing of your cousin Jack. Blessings.