Thursday, January 31, 2013


A text message at 5:30 am informed me that school was on a 2-hour delay this morning because of water and storm debris on some of the roads. When g-son arrived at 7 he was more awake today than any morning this week so far and was not interested in going back to sleep.
We ate breakfast together and then I did all the chores and got ready to go into town to run my errands after I dropped him off at school at 10:00.
I did my errands in record time today as I didn't have to make any extra stops and even made an Avon delivery and still made it home before lunch.
It is cold and windy today with temps not getting out of the 30's.
With an unplanned afternoon off I spent it doing small jobs that usually get put off until later.
D-in-love called and said her dad was sick so I picked up g-son and we came home to eat and play games until his dad picked him up.
Daughter came by and got her dad to go up to church and retrieve the futon and 2 papason chairs we had taken up there for her 5th quarter celebrations. With only one more home basketball game next Tuesday,unless they get a tournament home game the 5th quarters are over for this year.
She is planning to host some 10th innings after Friday night baseball games later in the spring when the weather warms up so that they can be outside. Guess we will be grilling hotdogs and hamburgers for those.
This last day of the first month of 2013 has been pretty calm and uneventful for my family. I am thankfully grateful for each month that passes when our health and happiness are intact.
The strangest thing about this month was the weather with most days not feeling like January at all but spring or even summer. At least one record was tied at temperatures in the 70's. And instead of our winter coats we have needed the rain gear on many occasions with two flooding rainfalls and several near floods.Schools were closed one day for a minor ice storm and 2 days were delayed because of flooded roads.
#1 son spent several long 12 to 15 hour days in his work with the DOT in the bad weather.
D-in-love volunteered to help chaperone a group a young girls with daughter and g-son got to go on  a trip to the Great Wolf Lodge in Charlotte which g-son enjoyed immensely.

#2 son put in an offer on another lot of land in a bankrupt development  and is still waiting for the bank to decide if they will take his offer.  His heat pump in his new house blew a fuse in the middle of one of the colder nights, but my cousin got it running again the next day.
Daughter has been super busy this month with church youth group and coaching basketball at the local high school. That's her in the pink scarf.

As for hubbie and I we have been very fortunate to have avoided sickness and have worked outside on several days doing what usually waits until late February or March. I lost one market Saturday due to the ice storm but the other three market Saturdays were pretty good considering this is the slowest month of the year usually.
I had the good fortune to get hooked up by e-mail with a cousin I didn't know and got the unfortunate news that another of my cousins that I haven't seen in many years passed away this month.
All in all it has been a good month although it has been a month unlike any I can think of lately that seemed to drag on forever with so many days of dreary weather.
I have got off my weight loss routine and although I haven't gained any of my lost weight back I haven't lost any more and I am still at least 10 pounds from where I would like to be. With all the rainy days it has been difficult to get outside to walk or run and even my inside exercise took a hit when I slipped on the ice during the storm and pulled a muscle in the side of my neck.
All excuses aside stating tomorrow, Feb 1, it is back to the grind to get back on the losing track,no more excuses !!
I am most Grateful to God for all the activities of the month and for continued good health and grace from His almighty love and kindness.
Good Night and God Bless


linda m said...

Today is a new month so hopefully both you and I can get back on the weight loss track. Glad you and your husband have managed to avoid getting sick so far, especially with all the crazy weather. God's blessings to you and your family.

Betsy Adams said...

I keep asking myself where January went... Time is FLYING by!!!!!

All of the severe weather this week missed us --but we did have TONS of rain... Last night, a clipper came through and gave us the first snow of the season (1-2 inches). It was 10 degrees this morning early... Still cold --but the sun is out now.

Didn't know you were still selling Avon.. Thought you gave it up --when you couldn't talk to an English person on the phone...

Have a great day.