Friday, January 25, 2013


The text alert on my cell phone woke me at 6am this morning. Schools are closed today with an annual leave day which means no one works. Hubbie, who's office doesn't observe the annual leave day rule, is already at work this morning. He said he  was going to watch the radar and come home when the ice storm started in our area. Every school district in western North Carolina was closed today !
I looked outside with the porch light and saw dry ground at our house so I went back to bed. I lay there listening to the police scanner but there weren't any accidents in the county so far.
#1 son had to be at work at 6am also this morning to get ready to keep the roads cleared when the ice started falling. He drives one of those big yellow state dump trucks on these days.
D-in-love waited until daylight to go to work so she dropped g-son off at about 7:30 this morning.
He was still in his pj's and he and Bernie snuggled under the warm blankets most of the morning.
His mom got off work early at 10 am as the first bands of the freezing rain began to hit Asheville where she works.
After she picked g-son up I spent the rest of the morning baking 6 caramel, 2 chocolate and 2 wine cakes, wondering if market would even open tomorrow.
Hubbie left work at lunch saying the roads were starting to get covered in a thin layer of slick ice. It was 23 degrees when I got up this morning and at 2:00 this afternoon it is still 23 degrees !
We spent the afternoon napping after both our early mornings. Bernie and Dolly get spoiled on days like today as they enjoy snuggling with me on the couch under a warm blanket.
At chore time this evening everything had a coating of ice, even as I stepped carefully I managed to slide sideways ,popping my right hip and almost falling because I couldn't put any weight on that leg for several minutes,until the pain subsided a bit. I can tell I'm going to be very sore tomorrow.
Icicles were everywhere as the temps juggle around the freezing point all evening.Fortunately we didn't have enough ice coating to bring trees and power lines down but there was enough to make the roads very slick and cause many accidents throughout the afternoon.
After chores Hubbie and I carefully walked over to #1 son's house where d-in-love fixed supper for all of us. Her tortilla soup is so delicious !!  And g-son enjoys having company to show off his games and toys.
After a nice visit we came home and just as I finished icing my cakes I got a call from the market manager saying market would be closed tomorrow because of ice in the parking lot. Hopefully I can get hold of some customers and sell what I baked today by personal delivery.

Thankful for all the blessings of the day and praying for all the folks who have to get out early on the slick roads in the morning,including both my son's. Be Careful !!
Good Night and God Bless.

1 comment:

Betsy Adams said...

Holy Cow... I have almost the same picture as your last one here....

We may have had a little more ice than you (lost power once--but briefly)--but no damage around here that I know of. Hubby and I just hunkered down and stayed inside most of the day. I did go out and fill the bird feeders --but that was about it... We finally got above freezing but not for long.

This morning, the SUN is out --even though it is still below freezing. Things have iced back up here this morning--but it's supposed to warm up... Yeah!!!!

I got some good pictures which I will share on my blog posts next week.

Have a good weekend and be careful.