Friday, June 7, 2013

A RAINY GRADUATION FRIDAY

My last trip to school for a couple months was a rainy one this morning.
G-son seemed like he thought it was just another school day.
After sloshing through chores I sat out in the sunroom and watched the rain while I had breakfast.
I got caught up in going through some magazines out there and then moved some things around to redecorate for the summer. I knew I needed to be baking cakes or doing today's housecleaning duties but it was just one of those days that I didn't want to be on a schedule.
After having lunch I decided it was time to get back on schedule so I baked 12 caramel,4 chocolate and 2 pound cakes then cleaned the kitchen and sunroom. I watered all the inside plants and sat my ferns out in the rain for a drink.
The clouds broke in the early afternoon for a little bit of sunshine before the storms moved back in with darker clouds.
We got our first gulley washing rain of the season this afternoon after some horrid thunder and lightening. This is the back yard where we put mulch down to cover the mud from the last rains.
Hubbie got out after the lightening stopped and tried to direct the rushing water away from the house.
We will be doing some work on the driveway and yard tomorrow after all the storms pass through tonight.
This is our potato patch after the 1 1/2 inch of rain fell in about 20 minutes.And that was just the first storm !!
#1 son is on call this weekend from the DOT and he got called out to block off several flooded roads in the area.
Daughter, who is collecting all the donated food for "project Graduation" tonight in the neighbor's 15 passenger business van is out in the middle of this rain I'm sure getting a soaking.
The local high school tried to sneak their graduation ceremony in between the rain storms but didn't make it and they all got soaked. I remember that happening when my #1 son graduated. After you are wet there is no sense moving inside.
These dark clouds loomed as the graduates marched on to the football field for the ceremony. One of my nephews was in this class.
This is before the rains came and soaked the happy graduates.
Congratulations to all the graduates tonight,may you find the road ahead of you lined with roses that have no thorns !!
I waited until about 10:00 tonight and took a flashlight out to shut the doors of the chicken houses when the rain slacked to a sprinkle. I poured 2 1/2 inches from the gauge on my way back inside.
I iced cakes tonight and washed the muddy eggs of the last couple days to get ready for market tomorrow.
Grateful to God for sparing our farm any hail this afternoon and thanking Him for the blessings of the day.
Good Night and God Bless.








2 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wooooo--you are really getting the rain.. Today was the first day in awhile that we didn't get rain during the day. However, we have had a little rain tonight... BUT--nothing like the rains you got.

Sorry about the rain at graduation. I hate it when that happens--but those young people probably didn't care!!!!

Hope your Saturday is good... Hope you have a good day at the market.
Hugs,
Betsy

Unknown said...

I thought you would get some heavy rain. After it left here, it was headed your way and up the coast. Hope today will bring us both sunshine.