Saturday, August 3, 2013

BUSY MARKET AND MONEY PLANT HARVEST

Off to market early this morning as we expect it to be crowded today.
Daughter pulled into the parking lot just ahead of us for a nice unplanned coincidence. She had picked 8 gallons of black berries yesterday to sell. They were some of the largest berries I have ever seen. She is off now until school starts and her teaching career begins so she will be picking lots of berries to sell to fill in the gap no  pay check.
We were right about the crowds today as the morning was very busy. She was out of berries before noon and our baked goods shelves were almost empty also.
Thankful for another good selling day.
Hubbie shopped for fresh green beans and corn for tomorrow's lunch then headed home to mow the lawn for the second time this week !!
Daughter left about 1:00 to go home to mow her lawn also.  I picked up baking supplies on the way home and made it home at 3:30.
Hubbie came in and helped me unload then we took a break and had a snack before returning to the yardwork. He finished mowing and I cleaned out one bed in front of the house where I needed to harvest some money plant to sell. There was poison ivy all intertwined with things in this bed, I had on a long sleeved shirt and gloves and pray that I didn't get that stuff all over me.
The money plant doesn't look too good this year. I hope the coins will stay attached to the stems after I shuck the husks from it.
These husk hold the seeds, I always leave an abundant amount of the coins in the beds for next year.
This is what it looks like with all the husk and leaves off.
It last forever or until it gets too dusty !!
I only have eight bunches so far this year. This is pretty late to be gathering it but I had to wait until it dried out.
I washed my hands three times when I came inside hoping to get any trace of poison ivy off.
One flower bed cleaned many more to go !!!
After a quick salad for supper I did chores before g-son arrived to spend the night with us.
He was hungry and had his regular mac and cheese followed by M&M cookies for dessert.
That's what g-mas are for you know !!!
We sat up the laptop and he entertained himself with games while Pawpaw and me  gleaned the garden and put up all the chickens.
Today has been a perfect day with lots of sunshine but temps in the low 80's , not our regular August "dog days" weather around here but we will surely take it and be thankful.
The July weather map shows one of the coolest Julys on record for our area and the predictions are for August to follow suit.
But also predictions for August are for more rain than normal which we really don't need.
Someone asked today at market if I had heard the predictions for this coming winter and I said I hadn't. She said the almanac was predicting a severe snowy,cold winter. All I know is if below normal temps and above moisture hold on we better get stocked up of food !!!!
God knows what He is doing with the weather and everything else so I try to leave all those things up to Him and just live in His glory.
Good Night and God Bless.




5 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

We also had a mild July ---and had LOTS of rain.. I think they said on TV that we've already hit our total rain average for the entire year.... NOW--if August is WET---it does make me wonder about winter!!!!! Hmmmmmm.... Gotta count the August fogs to see who many snows we will get!!!!!

Have a blessed Sunday.
Hugs,
Betsy

Gail said...

Yes, the weather is scary. One bad growing season could do lots of damage. One bad winter would put lots of people in a bind.

Have a blessed evening.

Sandy Livesay said...

It's a scary thought to have a severe winter. We can only hope everyone prepares for it.

linda m said...

My mother always had a money plant in the house. I don't know where she got it from, but I always liked it. The weather this year has indeed been very scary and I am really not looking forward to a winter this year like we had last year - record amount of snowfall. Blessings

Anonymous said...

AFTER ALL THE THREATS GOING ON IN OUR WORLD I JUST PUT MY TRUST IN GOD TO TAKE CARE OF HIS PEOPLE.
PRAY AND PRAY SOME MORE THAT GOD HAS EVERYTHING UNDER HIS CONTROL. WE ALL KNOW HE WINS IN THE END.

SO BRING ON THE SNOW. EVERYONE NEEDS TO BUILD A SNOWMAN.

GRANNY