Wednesday, August 14, 2013

DOG ATTACK

I am writing this blog on Thursday again and back dating it.
It was a very stressful morning that started before I even had a chance to eat my breakfast yesterday.
Just as I drove up from taking g-son to school and got out of my van I heard all my dogs barking their heads off. I went to the back yard and saw a couple of my nephew's black angus calves in our pasture. I went inside to get my boots on and when I came back outside I heard dogs down with the cattle. As I started down the driveway there was a black cow outside the fence who had jumped out and she was in the process of jumping back in, thus tearing the fence down in two places !
Now I could hear a calf in dire distress. I started calling to get some help as quickly as I could. Thankfully Rebecca was also watching all this commotion and had already called Aaron who thankfully was not far away. Just as he arrived we saw three Pit Bull dogs taking the yearling calf under the water of the pond. He grabbed a pistol and fired in the air to scare the dogs and they turned the calf loose.
My nephew and his dad arrived on the scene and emptied a couple guns at the fleeing dogs but didn't kill any of them.
I brought little Evy back to the house so I could eat some breakfast and so Rebecca could help corral all the cows and calves to check them out and see how badly the attacked calf was injured.
When Rebecca came in after a couple hours of tangling with the cattle she said the calf was hurt  pretty badly as one of the dogs had hold of it's mouth and tore the upper lip. The vet was called and it was given a shot of antibiotics to fight off infection.
The sherrif was also called but said there was nothing they could do with the dogs except fine the owners since they didn't kill the calf.
This scares the heck out of me to be living this close to these vicious dogs. Watching this scenario unfold was like watching a show on a nature channel of wild hungry wolves stalking, separating and killing their prey. Only difference is these dogs are not hungry they are just killers. If they are brave enough to attack this 400-500 pound calf I can only imagine what else they might decide to kill in the future !!!
The deputy did tell all of us to be on the look-out and we were absolutely in our rights to shoot to kill these dogs if they come back on our properties. Getting the taste of blood like they did I am sure they will be back the first chance they get. The neighbors have fences to keep them in but evidently let them out to roam and terrorize the neighbor hood. Hubbie and I have raised cattle for 30 years with nothing like this ever happening  around this area.
This all concluded about 2:00 and then I had to start my baking for the day.
I baked 44 layers for 18 caramel, and 4 chocolate cakes plus a pound and a blackberry wine cake finishing just in time to start icing all these.
G-son who I had picked up at noon was a little angel all afternoon offering help where he could and just being good as gold through this hectic afternoon.
I did our weekly paperwork,payed bills and did evening chores in between my icings.
By the time midnight rolled around my back was hurting and I was so tired I forgot to even wash my eggs to get them ready for market.
I slept fitfully as the terrified bawls of that calf kept running through my mind.
Saying a prayer for all involved this morning that no more damage was done and hopefully the calf will recover.
Also praying for one of the owners of two of these dogs as she is getting ready to welcome a new grand baby into her home where these dogs stay.

God Bless.

3 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh how sad... Almost makes me cry... Can't believe that something can't be done about those vicious dogs... I know you will all be on the look-out from now on.

Hugs,
Betsy

linda m said...

That is just awful. Sure wish the authorities could do something about those dogs. Please be careful! Pit Bulls are one breed of dog that should not be allowed anywhere. Blessings.

Anonymous said...

I KNOW YOU DON'T COMMENT HERE BUT I JUST HAVE TO SAY ONE THING. I HOPE YOU TALKED TO THE OWNERS OF THOSE DOGS AND POINTED OUT THAT IT COULD'VE BEEN ONE OF THE CHILDREN. THEY NEED TO BE PUT DOWN. SORRY.

GRANNY