Tuesday, July 1, 2014


First day of July brings the first named storm of the Atlantic hurricane season.
Early this morning Arthur was named and looks to spoil a lot of fourth of July beach celebrations all along the east coast.
He is not expected to cause any problems in our area so we are still expecting a dry holiday.
This morning after a quick early trip to Walmart to pick up some canning jar lids I got the chores done, had breakfast then went back out in the tropical feeling early morning to walk.
The high for today was 88 and early this morning it was really hot.  I pulled weeds for the chickens as I was ending my walk and felt like I sweated a gallon just doing that at 10am.
Our garden is doing great so far.  The rains of  late really gave it a boost and we are now getting, squash, cucumbers,peppers and the green beans need to be picked.
I spent the morning inside cleaning house.  After lunch and a brief break for my aching back after all the vacuuming and mopping I headed back up to the garden to pick some of the bush beans so I could make some Dilly Beans.  I haven't made these in years because we always just grow half runner beans and they don't make good Dilly Beans because of the large seeds in them . I found some old bush bean seed this year and hubbie planted them early not expecting them to come up but they did and have supplied us with some earlier than usual fresh green beans. I don't even remember what the name of the beans are but they are ideal for Dilly Bean making.  I broke the ends off and washed them.
I washed and heated 9 pint jars, boiled water, vinegar and salt while I filled the jars with the beans and added garlic, cayenne pepper and dill seed to each jar before pouring the boiling liquid over them.  I water bathed them for 10 minutes and they all sealed and look lovely.
While I was slaving away at this task daughter sent me these pics of her and her friend Megan as they did some sight seeing up in Maryland where Megan lives.
They were crossing the Bay Bridge which is the longest bridge on the East coast on their was to Chessapeak Bay.

They jet skied in the Bay on a hot 90+ day up there.

Daughter is on the right, looks like they had a great time.
As for me it was back to the garden for more bean picking when Rebekah came up. Hubbie took care of Evy while we picked about a bushel and a half of Half Runner Beans.
I see a lot of bean breaking in our future !!!!
Aaron came over and helped her carry them home, I kept the 1/2 bushel as that is all hubbie and I will get broke tonight anyway.
After chores and supper I baked 4 pound cakes and he started breaking the beans. When I went in to help he said he thought he had "bean" elbow from all the breaking.  We decided we were very appreciative to have help from Rebekah with all this gardening this year.  She is feeling much better today thankfully.
As I sat out in the sunroom this afternoon I marveled at the blooms on this Peace Lily out there.
They do look like flags of surrender.
Thankful to God for the blessings of this first day of July, may He be glorified in all that I do.
Good Night and God Bless.

1 comment:

Betsy Adams said...

Hi There, Just stopping by to say "Happy 4th of July".... Hope you have an incredible weekend whether you are traveling, with family or friends --or like us, just enjoying being home! We hope to grill a couple of steaks today.. Our weather here is awesome right now...God Bless American --and God Bless YOU.

Hope you don't get any of that storm. I feel sorry for the people who had hoped to spend the 4th on the East Coast.

You really do have the beans... WOW....