Friday, January 17, 2014

COLD AND WINDY DAY

A cold 19 degree morning started this TGIF !!!
After getting g-son to school I had breakfast and then did chores. With the cold morning temps the animals don't seem to mind staying in the their warm houses a little longer and it makes it much easier to give them water when the temp gets closer to the 32 degree mark.
A limb fell into the Silkie lot over night and I spent some time this morning getting the netting stretched back out over their lot. I haven't seen any hawks around this winter but it's not worth taking a chance of loosing another little Silkie.
Back inside I baked cakes the rest of the morning. I baked 5 pound cakes, 2 chocolate layer cakes and 1 blackberry wine cake.
Rebekah and Aaron loaded a heifer after lunch and Evy stayed with me. She was very interested in the birds at the feeders on the front porch and had a squealing fit when a squirrel climbed up on the chair in front of the window !!  She was so funny !!
Poor mama cow, it didn't take her long to figure out her baby was gone and she has been bawling all evening.
When hubbie and I used to wean calves I would feel so sorry for the cows as I knew how I would feel if someone took my baby !!   But these aren't really babies as they are already half grown cows and need to be weaned.
I spent the afternoon moving furniture around in the living room but wound up with everything back where it was, oh well !!!
I vacuumed and mopped the entire house.
Since I have been eating my raisins soaked in gin I've noticed that my muscles and joints don't hurt like they used to when I did all this floor cleaning.
After chores I iced my cakes and wrapped things to get ready for market. 
I found a big nest of eggs out in one of the hen lots under a rock. I had to crawl under there to get the 13 eggs that were hidden under there. None of them were busted so I am assuming they have been laid since the 0 degrees weather so I will use them to bake with next week.  I won't take a chance on selling them. I can't believe I haven't noticed that nest before now !!??
Temperatures today rose to the lower 40's but as the wind picked up after lunch it was downright cold out there. I tried to get my walk in this afternoon but couldn't take the hard wind blowing in my face and taking my breath away.
The workers down on the road even left when the wind got harder.
I finally got September and October photos in my album this evening. I need to finish this project then move on to another 6 month blog book of the last 6 months of 2013.
We are in for another cold blast tonight and tomorrow as after a 15 degree night tomorrow's high will be around 35.  Those old cement block walls of market will be cold in the morning.
God is good all the time, all the time God is good !  Invite Him into your heart !!
Good Night and God Bless.

No comments: