Thursday, January 16, 2014


After getting g-son to school I hurried through the chores on this 20 degree morning. After breakfast I headed out to town to get all the errands done and re-stock groceries.
I made it home about 1:00 just as hubbie was getting here from leaving work early. He had already eaten lunch so I ate left over chicken and rice.
He went outside to work in his wood pile until it was time to get ready for the funeral. I cleaned off the refrigerator. With all my cake pan spraying I have to scrub the tops of all the things in the kitchen to get the dust off.
At 2:00 hubbie came inside and we both got ready to go to the funeral of his late cousin's husband.
It was a nice short service and they gave military rights at the graveside as he was a Vietnam Veteran.
They did a very touching job and the sound of the gunshots and Taps played on a bugle echoed off the surrounding mountains was awesome.
#1 son was one of the pallbearers.  This is the third family member this family has lost in the last two years,2 in just the last two months. They are spent and it showed in all their faces as they bravely faced another funeral.
After we left hubbie and I drove around the mountain to see his grandmother's house.  It has over grown so much along the road it was hard to get a good picture. Especially with the now owner walking around in the yard.
This is the old barn where we kept our cattle when granny was alive. At least they have preserved the house and barn.
There are alot of apple orchards on this mountain and it was sad to see all the apples left on the ground under the trees to rot.
The price dropped so much near the end of the season that they weren't worth paying to have them picked.
We came home by way of daughter's house to let Tipper go outside for a little while. Daughter is at the minute clinic to get medicine for a fever blister and then has basketball practice.
This is a picture posted on the newspapers website of daughter watching her girls fight for the ball last night in a loss to Polk County.
Aaron and Rebekah worked on fence tonight so I got to spend some time with little Evy. She cut another tooth last night.  She is crawling and grabbing everything in sight now, fun, fun !!
It is 29 degrees tonight at 11:00 headed for the low 20's.   More snow predictions for tomorrow but it is supposed to get into the lower 40's again but without today's nice warm sunshine.
Praying tonight for the family of Wesley Medlin as they grieve the loss of their father, brother and grandfather.
Good Night and God Bless.


linda m said...

Sorry for your loss. Military funerals are some of the most moving funerals. Every time I see a flag draped casket, hear Taps and the gun salute I start bawling like a baby. I am so looking forward to Spring as we had another snow fall yesterday and this morning it is 8 degrees outside. I try to look on the bright side of this weather -killing off mosquito larvae, etc - but it is hard. Have a blessed weekend. Blessings

Sandy said...

Carolina Nana,

Our military Vietnam Veteran's are passing away. I'm so sorry for you loss. My Dad was also a Vietnam Vet., I lost him in December. I'm happy to hear George received the military rights, and the playing of Taps. My he rest in peace.