Friday, July 15, 2016

100 YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF 1916 FLOOD

Another beautiful summer morning, thanks God !!!!
Each morning as I rise out of bed and ready myself for the day I am so thankful for the love and blessings of my Heavenly Father as I look around the beauty of a new day.
After chores and breakfast I headed out on a brief walk today. As the morning heats up there isn't a lot to photograph this morning but these Mimosa blossom are still pretty and fragrant.

Back inside I rested a bit and read my morning Bible verses.
I got my baking started early and baked 12 caramel, 1 coconut, 4 pound and 1 blackberry wine cake before stopping for a late lunch.
I haven't seen but a couple stray ants today so maybe my eradication efforts paid off !!
I switched gears and cleaned the kitchen of baking supplies and got out canning supplies. My feet and legs are already screaming but these beans need to be canned. Hubbie came in amidst the canning and started breaking the remainder of the half runner beans while I finished canning 14 quarts.


I have probably at least that many more to can but they will have to wait until tomorrow as it is choretime now and then cake icing time .
After chores icing time lasted the rest of the evening and it was midnight by the time I had things labeled and packed up for market.
We received a sprinkle of rain late this evening but not enough to measure. The clouds fought the sun all afternoon but were fluffy white until the very dark stormy clouds came in late this afternoon but this storm skirted us to the north and east.

Today is the 100 year anniversary of the worst flooding to ever hit western North Carolina. Back on July 15,1916 two back to back hurricanes converged on these mountains to drop 22 inches of rain in a 24 hour period to break all previous records and devastate the entire area with the worst floods in history to this date.
I remember the stories my dad told about this flood, he was 15 years old when it came though.




G-daughter had her first "big girl" bath tonight after her and g-son spent the day at Otter Creek water park in Greenville, SC today with a group of kids from church.



Thankful to God for all the blessings He sent my way today and asking for His continued guidance in all that I do.
God Bless and Good night.


No comments: